Bridal season is upon us! With the number of engagement announcements over the holidays, many brides-to-be are gearing up for their special day. As a former bride, I am writing this post to offer some advice on looking and feeling your best on your wedding day. It’s easy to get caught up in the details of wedding décor, bridal party themes and venue selection, but please make sure to remember that everyone else’s eyes will be focused on: THE BRIDE! Let that be the reason to make sure that you are looking and feeling your absolute best on that blissful day. With proper planning, your wedding day can be one of the most joyous and stress-free days of your life. The following is a short guide I have compromised for you to start thinking more about your bridal beauty and relaxation details. Here is a little “wedspiration” to get you started!
- Organize everything! There are a number of vendors that you will interact and negotiate with, so it is necessary to establish an efficient organized system to keep track of contracts, notes and ideas to keep the stress at a minimum.
- Hair & Makeup. Do your research and hire a hair stylist and makeup artist that has experience working major events. If you can schedule a trial session, that’s icing on the cake.
One Month Before…
Now is the time to narrow in on the final preparations, including beauty treatments and “day-of” tasks.
- Since your skin can have a reaction to certain facial treatments, I’d suggest getting your last facial treatments about 3-4 weeks prior to your wedding day. I remember getting facial threading so that my skin could be soft and smooth for the makeup application, and my skin had a bad reaction! Thankfully it happened three weeks before my big day, and I was able to get that under control!
- During the final stretch, your stress factor can kick into high gear. Make sure to incorporate daily workouts to eliminate the stress. For added beauty prep, drink lots of water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to ensure that your skin glows from within and that your hair shines.
- In order for you to actually relax on your wedding day, you want to make sure that you plan to have items on your wedding day such as snacks for you and your bridal party during the hair and makeup prep. My vegetable tray came in handy for that last minute hunger after a full session of pre-wedding photos!
- Along with the snacks, comes fun times while you and your bridal party get ready. There is nothing like having a good playlist to set the tone for the day. Music is everything!
- Get all body treatments done at a spa two days before your wedding. This includes your manicure, pedicure, waxing and massage.
- If you plan to add any hair extensions, it’s a good idea to have them installed a couple of days before to give your scalp time to adjust. That way the day-of can be reserved just for styling! Here is a hair extensions company, created by the hairstylist to Kerry Washington, called TSD Hair Extensions, that offers various beautiful textures for your wedding day!
- Get a good night’s rest. Protect your hair and skin with a satin pillowcase overnight, such as this set by Slip.
- Let the party begin! With all of the prepping, you can now relax, get pampered and enjoy yourself with your friends and family before you see your groom. More than likely, your photographer will capture moments while you are getting ready, so make sure that you are looking stylish in a pretty robe. There are some amazing styles by Natori worth checking out!
- Final Tip: Mingle with your guests during the cocktail hour! We opted to take bridal photos before the wedding, which allowed us to have time to enjoy our guests after the ceremony. We made an unplanned visit to the cocktail hour, which turned out to be the best thing! Everyone got to talk with us and take pictures, and by the time the reception started, I was able to truly soak in the day and enjoy it all!
After the Celebration
- Once the wedding is over, it’s time for you and your new husband to enjoy each other. Let the honeymoon be the time to relax and reflect! We took a cruise to the Bahamas, which was so beautiful.
If I could offer a honeymoon “beauty” tip, I would tell you to continue to workout! There was an awesome gym on the ship which, admittedly, we did not take advantage of. With the delicious food that we consumed during our trip, let’s just say that I could have benefited from a few, short sessions in that gym!
When it’s all said and done, remember to be grateful and to give thanks to everyone who made the event possible. Congratulations, bride-to-be, and best of wishes to you!
If you’d like to read more on our wedding story for inspiration, check out the featured article by Munaluchi Bride.